CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Amazon.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bargain Alert: Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

I have been wanting to make homemade powdered laundry detergent for a while now, but between my laziness, and fear of it not working well, I just never have. Well finally last week I decided to go for it it. Partially because I found that my local Wal-Mart carried all the ingredients needed for homemade soap(well I already had most of the ingredients at home). I also found some essential oils I liked. That Sunday night, I came home and started grating!

The following recipe is very simple. From start to finish including grating was only about 20 min. I imagine once I get the hang of things it will be even quicker.

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent Ingredients:
3 cups Borax
3 cups Washing Soda
3 Cups Baking Soda
1 Bar Kirks Original Castille Soap
1/2 Bar Fels Naptha Detergent Soap
Essiential Oil of your Choice





Start by  grating your Castille and Fels-Naptha Soap.I used a Cheese Grater (the one with the largest holes). The soap dissolves in the wash anyways, so it doesn't really matter which way you decide to grate. Some people use a food processor.



Then pour your Borax (carefully) into a mixing bowl, followed by your washing soda. Mix thoroughly. Then add your Baking Soda. Then add your grated Kirks Castille and Fels-Naptha Soap.

Once all the ingredients are mixed together add your essential Oils. I used Lemon, Almond and Vanilla. If you have problems finding Essential Oil in your area, The Vitamin Shoppe sells some great scents online. I put about a Teaspoon of each scent in. You can add more or less depending on your preference.


You only need to use about 2 tablespoons per load. I  saved one of my old laundry scoops and used that. Only filling it to the 1st line for a large load.
The price difference is insane. From calculations online, This recipe costs around 2 pennys per load. Where Tide costs around .71 cents.
The scent on your clothes lasts for days. I can still smell the sweet lemony smell about a week after washing a pair of my daughers Pajamas.

Most recipes I found online called for Fels-Naptha, from my understanding, Fels-Naptha is a great detergent soap, it is however a little harsh, and is not all natural. The first batch I made I used only Kirks Castille Soap From what I found online, Kirks Castille Soap is perfect for babies and sensitive skin, and it is all natural.
While making this batch, I decided to use half a bar of Fels-Naptha, and a whole bar of Kirks Castile, to give the cleaning power of Fels-Naptha, while cutting back on some of the harshness that could go along with following the other recipes that called for a whole bar. If you want to stick to the sensitive skin mixture, I suggest using two full bars of Kirks Castille Soap instead of one.
The only thing that I find weird is that this homemade laundry detergent does not suds AT ALL. That will definitely take some getting used to. But I have noticed it works just as well as any other store bought detergent at getting my Fiancee's gross work clothes clean, and the spaghetti stains out of my daughters clothes!
And for the price, and flexibility of making whatever scent I want, it's worth it!
I hope you all enjoyed! Be sure to let me know what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment