CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Amazon.com

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Whats for Breakfast? Quick and Easy Cinnamon Rolls!

I have fond memories attached to this recipe of Cinnamon Rolls. My Mom always made them on the weekends. I recently began following in her path, and cooking them on Saturday Afternoon. I  put them in the fridge, and Sunday morning we heat them up and have nice hot Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast. (Ok,  I also make them during the week and hoard them to myself.) As a Mom living on a budget, I like to find Fast, Easy, and Cheap recipes. This is one of those. The only difference is it was handed down to me by my Mother. I hope you all enjoy!

Ingredients Needed:
2 Cups Jiffy Mix (You can use Bisquick as Well, but I like Jiffy better and it costs less than Bisquick)
2/3 Cup Milk
2 tbs. Butter
1 cup (Not exact) Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup (Again, Not Exact) White Sugar (Optional)
For the Icing:
1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 tbs. Butter
1/8 cup Milk
1 tbs. Vanilla Extract (Or any other flavored extract you would like)
Start by mixing the Milk and Jiffy Mix until it forms a ball of dough. 

At this time I usually lay down two strips of Paper Towels containing two paper towels in each strip.
Also sprinkle some Jiffy Mix onto the Paper Towels, as well as a little pile off to the side. This keeps the Dough from sticking to the paper towels, and also helps it from sticking to you hand.


Dump the ball of dough onto the paper towel. Begin Kneading it about 5 times. Some recipes call for about 10 kneads, but I don't agree. Usually 4 or 5 turns will work well. If the dough sticks to your hands, grab some of the mix from the pile and sprinkle on top.

You can choose to use your hands, or a rolling pin. Begin to roll the dough out into an oblong shape. It needs to be about 1/4 inch thick. If it is too thin it will break and not roll up correctly later.

Take the butter and melt it in the microwave for about 30 seconds (time may vary). Then spoon this onto the rolled out dough mixture. I use the back of the spoon to spread it evenly to the sides/

Take your brown sugar and begin sprinkling it on top of the butter mixture. I don't use an exact measurement for this. It usually ends up being about two handfuls. If you want more sugar or less sugar you can adjust this to your preference. This is also the time you would sprinkle the regular sugar  on as well.
After the sugar has been put on the dough, begin to sprinkle the cinnamon. I also don't use an exact measurement on this. 2 tbs should be about right, but again if you like Cinnamon you can always add more.
I then take the back of my spoon and spread it out evenly, getting it as close to the edges as possible. This also helps to keep pools of butter from gathering and then leaking out as you roll it up.

Begin rolling the dough from one side to another. Once you have it rolled, Pinch the open ends as well as the seem to close it off and keep any filling form leaking out.

Take a knife and begin to cut the Roll into 2-3 inch pieces. Prepare your pan prior to this step, so that you can immediately place the cut slice into the dish, preventing the filling from leaking out. I use a regular 9x9 glass dish. Don't forget to grease your pan with either spray or Shortening.
Once all slices are in the pan, place in the oven and bake for 15-20 min at 350. Again, cooking times may vary depending on oven, pan, and the thickness of your rolls.
You want them to be a light golden color. They will continue to cook slightly once removed from the oven. I have made the mistake of taking them out and having them end up hard as a rock. Once you see the slightest tint of gold on them they are ready.
For the Icing:
Melt the butter using the same process as listed earlier. The recipe calls or 2 tbs. but it usually ens up being 2 heaping tablespoons. Slowly add the powdered sugar (You want to add the powdered sugar to the butter while it is hot to prevent lumps). The mixture should be very thick and creamy. The other liquids will bring it back to the right consistency.  Then add your vanilla extract and milk. Stir until mixed together.
Pour icing onto Rolls Directly out of the oven.


Looks good right?! I hope you enjoyed this post! Be sure to check back for more great ideas! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Frugal in WV

I love cinnamon rolls, yum! Saw your post on bloggy moms and following you by email now. Have a great week, I look forward to your future posts :)

http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

Brittney Staton

Thanks for reading and for the follow! I am glad you enjoyed it! The whole recipe from start to finish takes about 20 min if that once you make it a few times. It's great for the kids to help with as well. I hope you have a great week too. I will be sure to check out your blog! Thanks again.

Post a Comment